I shared my recipe for 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread with you earlier this week. I have been trying to eat healthier these days, and needed something quick for lunch. Lunch is always tough for me. I am typically so busy during my day that I either end up skipping lunch, grabbing unhealthy snacks for lunch, or am out running errands and grab a salad on the go. On Monday, I had about half a loaf of 100% whole wheat sandwich bread that I had made over the weekend. I decided I wanted to make a quick avocado toast with the bread. But when I opened my refrigerator and saw a few other ingredients, my toast turned into an amazingly, delicious (yes, it is that good that I needed to use two adjectives!) open faced tomato and avocado sandwich. It only took a few minutes to throw together, and was absolutely delicious, satisfying, and healthy.
Just look at my sweet pup staring at my sandwich as I was photographing it for this post. She was being so good staying away from my lunch, but she kept giving me those puppy eyes.
Open Faced Tomato and Avocado Sandwich
2 thin slices of 100% whole wheat sandwich bread
1/2 of an avocado
2 slices of tomato
2 small handfuls of micro greens or baby spinach (arugula would work well here too)
Fresh herbs such as basil or parsely
light balsamic vinagrette
mayonnaise-I used chipotle flavored mayonnaise because it is what I had on hand, but any mayo would be great
kosher salt and pepper
1. I sliced my bread on the thin side for these sandwiches, because I thought they would easier to eat this way. But they would be fine sliced however you prefer. Toast your bread in the oven or the toaster
2. Slice the avocado and tomato.
3. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the toasted bread. Top with each slice with a small handful of micro greens, a slice of tomato, and 2-3 slices of avocado.
4. Sprinkle fresh herbs over the avocado slices and drizzle with light balsamic vinaigrette.
5. Finish with a sprinkle of kosher salt and pepper to taste.
*You can use store bought bread, but the 100% whole wheat bread is delicious and preservative free!
*A squeeze of lime juice and olive oil over the top of this sandwich would also be delicious if you do not care for balsamic vinaigrette
Bake And Share Ideas:
- These would make the perfect open faced tea sandwich if they were sliced into triangles. Invite a few friends over for tea and sandwiches.
- Bring to your next potluck or gathering. They would also be a perfect picnic food to share
- Bring these as an appetizer to your next gathering.